• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Combined Insurance?

Your boss gave some horrible advice...

I see it both ways. It is dumb to jump too fast without doing proper due diligence and information gathering. However, after one has gathered the facts you cannot allow analysis paralysis to take over either. The middle ground is a better place to be. Gather the information, make the best informed decision you can, and then go with gusto.

Last edited:
I thought being jackasses to new agents wasn't going to be allowed on the forum anymore. Oh well, back to the old way of doing things on the forum. That didn't last long!!

Personally, I think Combined is an excellent company but I've never worked for them.

I was inspired by W. Clement Stone when I read a book by him when I was in college. What an American success story!

Clement Stone Dies at 100 - Built Empire on Optimism - NYTimes.com
I know. He is amazing. How his life started. He had strong work ethic.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I thought being jackasses to new agents wasn't going to be allowed on the forum anymore. Oh well, back to the old way of doing things on the forum. That didn't last long!!
You haven't met some old dude name Rick he goes by Greensky...he thinks he "trains" newbies by belittling them. Being on the forum longer than others doesn't give anyone a prestigious award.

Last edited:
You haven't met some old dude name Rick he goes by Greensky...he thinks he "trains" newbies by belittling them. Being on the forum longer than others doesn't give anyone a prestigious award.

I can only train those with the intelligence to want to learn.

And I certainly never offered to train you. It would be too frustrating.

I tried to help you with a link to a great school, but that didn't work. So back to making fun of you because it's so easy.

Wait, I will help. Obamacare will hire navigators to help people enroll. Pay will be $58. It's pretty low but you'll get trained.

Rick

Ive been with Combined 6 weeks now. In a nutshell its an unrelenting hell of constant cold calling and constant rejection. Pretty much in the same vein as an old fashioned vacuum cleaner or Fuller Brush salesman. And what makes it worse is how that is glossed over in the hiring process and sales school. There so called "assignment" books are just a bunch of old lapsed leads, suggested places to stop and some current policy holders. After weeks of working them you'd be better off opening to page one of your local phone book and we all know how much fun that used to be. And no, those policy holders are not stupid. They know your so called "policy review" will be just another sales pitch for other products so they will reject you as well. Yes, there sales training is very good and they will pay you $500 the first 3 weeks but after that get ready to be a cold calling rejection handling machine. Not to mention the miles on your car and the weather. The products are weak in comparison with say Washington Nationals also. And , the TMs will hold your hand for the first couple of weeks and then quickly shift to the next new guy in order to maximize there commissions. And the reason why they pitch all that Stone PMA stuff is that they know in a few weeks the front ramp of that landing craft comes down and your ripped apart by the reality of the actual job. Its kind of like the Chaplain praying over and motivating the troops before the onslaught. My recommendation is that if your strapped for cash and brand new at insurance sales try the first 6 weeks with them and then get ready for the reality. But keep looking at other options

Last edited:
Well, that certainly is a very detailed and quite funny description. Sounds like you've had quite an experience.

Ive been with Combined 6 weeks now. In a nutshell its an unrelenting hell of constant cold calling and constant rejection. Pretty much in the same vein as an old fashioned vacuum cleaner or Fuller Brush salesman. And what makes it worse is how that is glossed over in the hiring process and sales school. There so called "assignment" books are just a bunch of old lapsed leads, suggested places to stop and some current policy holders. After weeks of working them you'd be better off opening to page one of your local phone book and we all know how much fun that used to be. And no, those policy holders are not stupid. They know your so called "policy review" will be just another sales pitch for other products so they will reject you as well. Yes, there sales training is very good and they will pay you $500 the first 3 weeks but after that get ready to be a cold calling rejection handling machine. Not to mention the miles on your car and the weather. The products are weak in comparison with say Washington Nationals also. And , the TMs will hold your hand for the first couple of weeks and then quickly shift to the next new guy in order to maximize there commissions. And the reason why they pitch all that Stone PMA stuff is that they know in a few weeks the front ramp of that landing craft comes down and your ripped apart by the reality of the actual job. Its kind of like the Chaplain praying over and motivating the troops before the onslaught. My recommendation is that if your strapped for cash and brand new at insurance sales try the first 6 weeks with them and then get ready for the reality. But keep looking at other options

Back