• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Hitting Your Goal and Clocking Out

Judging by your comments, you seem like you're not passionate about selling insurance and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you are working at a mission you sound like you are passionate about serving others and helping people which is admirable.

I know a few agents who grinded in the insurance game for a few years, stored up enough cash and then went on to start other businesses or endeavors that they were passionate about.

My advice to you would be make sure you have rainy day money stored just in case your plan doesn' work out and just look around for an agent who is selling insurance at the pace that you would like to see if you can pattern what they are doing. I hope everything works out for you and your family.

I thought Kenny was going to open up a martial arts dojo. Still in the works?

I agree with those who have said it depends on your goals. Everyones goals and desires are different. We have guys that come to me wanting to write 300K+. I’ve done that myself and have taught many that have accomplished that feat. Some just want to do 100K in production. That’s ok too. If you can only do this a few days a week
I’m just recently feeling motivated again after a burnout....

I started the Fe business 2 years ago.... I quit my job the week of thanksgiving, 2015. Started running leads January 2016. I ran as hard as I could ( I had to, I had $0 in my bank and a new born). I wrote well over 200k in the past 2 years and saved more than I’ve ever had.....although I never thought about the “cost” of being successful in this business. I was running 20 leads a week and just pushing myself to exhaustion.

September/ October of this year I stopped my lead flow and couldn’t pick my phone up when any clients would call. I thought I’d never desire to come back to this business.

Currently I am working on a plan to start dropping leads in January and starting the “grind” again in feb.... rather than 20 leads per week I am going to be dropping 1000 mailers per week and seeing what happens. I plan on working 2-3 days per week (mainly dking) and aiming for 3-4 apps per week rather than 6-7.

My only hesitation, at this point, is sustainability. Long term sustainability. I have never done this business any other way other than 20 leads per week,(typically less because of the returns ) at 3.5 days in the field. 4.5 days when I was starting out....

My schedule is going to be different because I am going to be working part time at a local mission helping out the FE demographic in a different way as well as selling FE.

My goal is much different than it was when I started this business. My goal is to profit $30,000 In a year (on new business, after expenses and taxes). That, in correlation with my renewals and tiny pay from the mission, will be enough to live and save some money.

I’m hoping spreading my week out and downsizing my FE activity will help keep balance in my life. I guess we will see

I’m not looking to hijack this thread, but feel free to comment on your thoughts about this plan. Especially those of you who have been doing this long term.

I agree with those who have said it depends on your goals. Everyones goals and desires are different. We have guys that come to me wanting to write 300K+. I’ve done that and more importantly have taught many that have accomplished that feat. Some just want to do 100K in production. That’s ok too. A few days a week, an app a day for the days you work & 30K cleared should be no problem for you. There will be days when clients can only meet on the days you may take off. You may want to team up with someone in your area who can take on those clients on your off days. Something is better than nothing so split the case with that agent. We have several agents in PA. Let me know if you ever need help.

I thought Kenny was going to open up a martial arts dojo. Still in the works?

I’m helping out at the academy I train at - it had always been a dream of mine to open an academy but at this point in my life I’ve got too many other things that I’m working on. That project is on hold but not forgotten. :) infact... check out the YouTube page I had been building for brand / recognition.

Ken Sutton

I did all the shooting, editing and producing. This was where my focus turned right before and during my burnout. Let me know what you think :)

Speaking of martial arts - Here’s a goodie - Hip toss to armbar Me and one of my good training partners Kevin.

I never set goals, just work every opportunity and stop on Sunday. I have an idea of how many I wrote that week but not a count. To me a goal is like a finish line but I don’t want a reason to stop.

I think burnout occurs in almost any industry when you do something that doesn't give you fulfillment. Selling FE doesn'tt give most fulfillment... It's the lifestyle that people like. The people capable of doing 300k years are special people. I admire it. They probably have personality types that get great fulfillment from financial gain or goal setting and completion. It's clear from your post financial gain isn't your primary source of happiness which is actually normal. The majority of people just want security.

Anyways I think the important thing to take from this is to make sure you have hobbies outside of final expense (or your job in general) that can give you fulfillment in life. Figure out what you value in life and supplement FE for the money.

Back