New Agent Advice :) Yeah Yeah not again :)

@Mhatten captive generally implies you are on a salary and are restricted to selling all product lines through one carrier.

I have never heard of someone who can sell anything with any carrier except for a particular product line and for THAT product line you are only allowed to sell ONE carrier.

Kind of a squirrely deal, but whatever floats your boat.

WHO owns that book of business? You or the agency? Are you assigning commissions? If either/both of those are true you should consider a change.
I OWN my book of business. Being that I am 100% new in the insurance world, I never knew there was any other way of doing things.

UHC only demands Medicare products be sold through them. Any other product, I am free to choose. When discussing MAPD i cannot discuss other products until that appointment is over. If that makes sense.
If a client wanted to hear about FE, I would have to end (so to speak) my MAPD appointment, then I am free to discuss other things.

I believe with ny agency, I had to agree to 6 months with her before branching out. It has been well over 6 months. When I go, I take my BOB with me.

UHC only demands Medicare products be sold through them. Any other product, I am free to choose.

Still seems odd.

There are a number of agents on this forum who offer UHC/AARP MAPD and Medigap as an OPTION. They are not required to use the UHC products exclusively, or give UHC first right of approval.

UHC demands (your words, not mine) that Medicare products must be sold through them. Or else what . . . ?

I OWN my book of business.

So you can walk at any time, move to another FMO, agency, etc, take your "book" with you, no strings attached. Is that right?

Look, I really don't care what your arrangement is, how you get paid, what you think you can do or not. It's none of my business.

But you aren't the first one to walk through the doors of this forum and think you are the fastest gun in town.

You came here and asked questions. You have bristled at some of the questions and suggestions. You may not have understood or appreciated some of the comments, but as a rookie in the business there is a lot to learn. There are questions that perhaps you never even thought to ask when you started on this venture.

Plenty of agents, myself included, have made assumptions about this industry and their business relationships only to later discover they could have/ should have done things differently.

I wish you well in your journey.

I OWN my book of business. Being that I am 100% new in the insurance world, I never knew there was any other way of doing things.

UHC only demands Medicare products be sold through them. Any other product, I am free to choose. When discussing MAPD i cannot discuss other products until that appointment is over. If that makes sense.
If a client wanted to hear about FE, I would have to end (so to speak) my MAPD appointment, then I am free to discuss other things.

I believe with ny agency, I had to agree to 6 months with her before branching out. It has been well over 6 months. When I go, I take my BOB with me.
My apologies if I came off as the fastest gun..lol I actually meant to imply I am no where near that.

I came here for advice and knowledge and that is what I am taking from all of this.

Yes, if I choose to leave my agency my BOB goes with me.

I am not sure where I went wrong or how I rubbed you in a fashion to think I know it all. I KNOW NOTHING!

Which is why I came here to ask questions. I also 100% know that I do not know even a portion of the qyestions I should be asking.

Still seems odd.

There are a number of agents on this forum who offer UHC/AARP MAPD and Medigap as an OPTION. They are not required to use the UHC products exclusively, or give UHC first right of approval.

There may be a misunderstanding from the OP (and I'm just guessing..)

UHC does offer agents callback lists. Some of you guys maybe haven't dealt with that and there might be a misunderstanding what she means by captive.

If UHC gives you a callback list, you HAVE to offer their products, unless they're just not available in the area. For example, in MI UHC only offers MA in one county and DSNP state wide.

So, if a client on callback wants MA and it's not in Macomb County, I'm allowed to offer them a different solution. However, if they have a policy w/ UHC and they are DSNP eligible, I have to only offer UHC.. because they gave me the lead.

However, you're allowed to offer any company to any lead YOU generate and you own any business you write.

I don't like to call leads that I didn't generate. I just don't trust sources I don't control. So, I turned it down.

However, I do not if that's what Op is talking about.

UHC does offer agents callback lists. Some of you guys maybe haven't dealt with that and there might be a misunderstanding what she means by captive.

If UHC gives you a callback list, you HAVE to offer their products, unless they're just not available in the area. For example, in MI UHC only offers MA in one county and DSNP state wide.

So, if a client on callback wants MA and it's not in Macomb County, I'm allowed to offer them a different solution. However, if they have a policy w/ UHC and they are DSNP eligible, I have to only offer UHC.. because they gave me the lead.

However, you're allowed to offer any company to any lead YOU generate and you own any business you write.

I don't like to call leads that I didn't generate. I just don't trust sources I don't control. So, I turned it down.

Yes it is. My apologies for not being more clear. The leads that they send me.

Yes but that is not captive that is just leads with a catch I've had these from UHC and From Aetna over the years

It just leads they generated so they give them to you with the expectation you pitch their product first

You can live off those leads though and other leads You can do what you will it's just the leads they specifically generate

Yes but that is not captive that is just leads with a catch I've had these from UHC and From Aetna over the years

It just leads they generated so they give them to you with the expectation you pitch their product first

You can live off those leads though and other leads You can do what you will it's just the leads they specifically generate

Correct. That is not captive. I think OP misunderstood Captive for Callback.

Im new also but I am and independent agent. I want to be able to provide health/life/FE/medicare. So far ive partnered with 2 different brokerages (1 for life/FE and another for Medicare). I want to be able to quote my clients on the same dashboard based on their needs. Right now i have to go through one brokerage (dashboard) to quote for medicare and another for life/FE.

Is there a way that I can use one system or brokerage to quote for all lines of insurance?

Quote ?With Csg you can quote fe and medigap . I don’t know about mapd . If your selling fe I’m assuming you sell mapd . I’d 100% use a Connecture or sun fire which keeps the meds and allows direct enrollment from the platform

Back