• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Starting a Position with Securus FE

Alright sounds good, I haven't had any issues thus far. I think I will find out for sure on Wednesday haha. Yeah I had a pretty rough day yesterday out at appointments. The people didn't even know why they sent the card in. I asked the lady if i found her a plan she could qualify for, a plan that would fit her needs and budget, and a plan that SHE SEES THE VALUE TO, would you be willing to start this plan today... "No" lol... she had to talk to her kids, well i can see where youre coming from mrs x, but this is ultimately your decision, not to mention your children do not want to make decisions on your death, but on your life...so in the end we have to ask ourselves, are we alright with passing the burden of our final expenses off to our loved ones? "well we have enough money in the bank and i still have to talk to my daughter" , so let me ask you this, if you were getting brain surgery, would you ask your daughter how you should be operated on or would you take it to a brain surgeon? "well id ask my daughter first" okay maam, so do you make decisions on your every day life? "yes" so that means when you go grocery shopping, you dont call your daughter and ask her what you can buy, right? i dont know, i didnt throw it all at her at once but i said just about all i could...

Pertaining to the bold above.....you should NEVER ask if they are going to buy ESPECIALLY when there has been NO warm-up and NO presentation.

You should just ASSUME they are going to buy....even though not everyone will buy.

Do a thorough warm up with gentle, subtle probing questions to gauge interest level, to see what you are working with. Then, if they have some interest, do a great presentation and ASSUME they will buy at the end of your presentation.

Pertaining to the bold above.....you should NEVER ask if they are going to buy ESPECIALLY when there has been NO warm-up and NO presentation.

You should just ASSUME they are going to buy....even though not everyone will buy.

Do a thorough warm up with gentle, subtle probing questions to gauge interest level, to see what you are working with. Then, if they have some interest, do a great presentation and ASSUME they will buy at the end of your presentation.

Its funny you mention this, I think the warm up went fantastic actually. I talked with her for at least 15 minutes and just about forgot the reason why I was actually there. I assume the warmup was pretty gentle and I tried to ask her those kinds of questions that you speak of. During the presentation, I got her to say that she didnt want to leave a burden for her children and her husband even died recently and she said it was so expensive. He worked at one of the local funeral homes, though. Maybe she has some kind of agreement of deal going on there?

Its funny you mention this, I think the warm up went fantastic actually. I talked with her for at least 15 minutes and just about forgot the reason why I was actually there. I assume the warmup was pretty gentle and I tried to ask her those kinds of questions that you speak of. During the presentation, I got her to say that she didnt want to leave a burden for her children and her husband even died recently and she said it was so expensive. He worked at one of the local funeral homes, though. Maybe she has some kind of agreement of deal going on there?

That's all fine and dandy, but you can NOT ask them if they will be buying if you show them something that fits in their budget, protects their children from a financial nightmare, etc.

Well, I also went about it like this, I said you can go over to the Gerber chapel right up the street maam and design your own funeral and funeral director is all done, hes simply going to say well mrs x ive designed your funeral for you and what ive come up with is its to be 10000. Now mrs x would you like to just prepay that and write a check for that amount today? when he presents that question to you, what are you going to say?

she said "yes i would, heres the check"

what are you supposed to say to that lol

Listen. You ain't going to sell them all.

And I somewhat disagree with Greg -- more stylistically, I suppose.

I ask them, "God forbid you have a massive stroke TONIGHT and DIE, what happens TOMORROW to pay for your funeral?" Usually within the first 3 minutes of the conversation.

I used to glad-hand and shoot the **** for 15-60 minutes. Not that it doesn't work doing it that way. I just let people know up front why I'm calling and establish a reason why we're talking immediately.

If there's no need, there's no presentation. If they can't justify buying an ongoing insurance policy committing a portion of their fixed income to, then are you a bad salesperson? Did you FAIL? No!

I get the facts up front as quickly as possible -- I want to know NEED and URGENCY to cure the need within the first 5 minutes. It can be done without scaring them away.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have to agree with you. I also will say that any carrier and IMO that negotiates to keep someone held hostage for 12 months is definitely not a friend of the agent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have never had this objection come up except once and that was because I did not do my due diligent warm up/fact find. This is a good one to ask JDEasy. If anyone can tell you how to overcome this objection he can.

JD, How do you overcome this objection?

It's like asking a lady to marry you after the first date. You don't overcome that objection. Simply because you get that objection if you didn't properly pre-qualify and establish need.

How can you sell something to somebody that doesn't have an inherent NEED or GREED for it? Especially in insurance -- lapse and a charge back waiting to happen.

Focus on finding the people with an EMOTIONAL need to buy, not merely the people that are just slightly interested. Dump the looky-loos and tire-kickers as quickly and aggressively as possible; you're time is way to valuable.

Last edited:
Well, I also went about it like this, I said you can go over to the Gerber chapel right up the street maam and design your own funeral and funeral director is all done, hes simply going to say well mrs x ive designed your funeral for you and what ive come up with is its to be 10000. Now mrs x would you like to just prepay that and write a check for that amount today? when he presents that question to you, what are you going to say?

she said "yes i would, heres the check"

what are you supposed to say to that lol

Ms. Jones, what are you going to do if that funeral home goes out of business?

Ms. Jones, what are you going to do if that funeral home goes out of business?

I think some of these funeral homes around here are actually selling pre-need with the backing of an insurance company, they have licensed agents in house in a boiler room setting. I've talked to ex-agents who did this , but I really do not get how it works.

Back