• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

To Write -or- Not To Write . . .

Interesting thread with a lot of useful banter . . . plus a few really dumb comments.

About half way through I put him on ignore and breezed through the rest.

One thing may have been discussed and I missed it. But some (many?) applications have an agent attestation. Something to the effect of being aware of a reason WHY this person should not be approved.

I haven't looked for it recently but recall seeing it on some health insurance applications in the past.

On one occasion a carrier called me prior to rescinding coverage and asked if there was anything I knew about this person's past that was not disclosed on the application.

While they did not tell me the exact situation, they did ask if there were any hospitalizations that had been discussed.

Everything I knew about this applicant was disclosed on the application.

They told me they were rescinding coverage retroactive to the effective date (that was legal at the time), premiums refunded less any claims paid.

I really thought my client would come after me but she didn't.

She knew she lied and figured she would not get caught. I wasn't complicit in the lie so no repercussions against me either.

I have walked away from a few prospects when I felt they were not being honest. No matter the commission, it just isn't worth going to battle to defend a lie.

Interesting thread with a lot of useful banter . . . plus a few really dumb comments.

One thing may have been discussed and I missed it. But some (many?) applications have an agent attestation. Something to the effect of being aware of a reason WHY this person should not be approved.

I haven't looked for it recently but recall seeing it on some health insurance applications in the past.

On one occasion a carrier called me prior to rescinding coverage and asked if there was anything I knew about this person's past that was not disclosed on the application.

While they did not tell me the exact situation, they did ask if there were any hospitalizations that had been discussed.

They told me they were rescinding coverage retroactive to the effective date (that was legal at the time), premiums refunded less any claims paid.

She knew she lied and figured she would not get caught. I wasn't complicit in the lie so no repercussions against me either.

I have walked away from a few prospects when I felt they were not being honest. No matter the commission, it just isn't worth going to battle to defend a lie.

I thought I addressed this here or maybe it was the other thread.

Some companies send out a "We want to blame you letter" on every death within two years, some only do it for those that they are planning to rescind. Every last one I have personally seen asks about the agent's knowledge of the applicant's health. Some are any, and some are more restricted to if the agent had reason to believe the applicant did not qualify.

Now obviously no one is looking for the agent to disclose the client had a cold the week before or a heart attack well outside the time frame asked. But I have to believe, most would be very interested in knowing an applicant had attempted suicide (assuming the agent had actual knowledge and not hearsay) or that the applicant had recently been hospitalized in a mental facility.

However - in this particular case - there weren't any lies nor untruths. Application's questions were truthfully answered . . . But - I had already spoken to UW and they were cool with the issues . . . We'll know soon enough when we do the Express App.

Which RNA products don't have H&W requirements besides their SIWL? Which doesn't start till age 50 - so, wouldnt help this case.

I have RNA.

You are correct. Only the FE doesn't have ht/wt requirements, however, their Essential product is more lenient with ht/wt than you can even see on their ht/wt chart.

I thought I addressed this here

Perhaps you did and I missed it. 16 pages of material is a lot until you block a certain person then it is a bit easier.

Still a lot.

I apologize for missing your post. I don't block you.

The clients that annoy me are the ones that say they think they have (insert a medical condition) but it "isn't pre-ex since I have not talked to a doctor about it".

Oh yeah. No problem. That will slide right through.

Until you have a claim.

PASS!!

But I have to believe, most would be very interested in knowing an applicant had attempted suicide (assuming the agent had actual knowledge and not hearsay) or that the applicant had recently been hospitalized in a mental facility.

Better to disclose it, if even in private to the underwriter, than let it slide.

I have done that on occasion. Called a carrier after submitting an app and mentioned something that was shared with me and it seemed like the client was trying to pull a fast one.

When the client seems to be trying to put one over on the carrier I tell them, lets put it on the app and let the underwriter decide.

That gets me off the hook and it is up to the carrier about what to do.

Perhaps you did and I missed it. 16 pages of material is a lot until you block a certain person then it is a bit easier.

Still a lot.

I apologize for missing your post. I don't block you.

It probably came across harsher than I intended, because you are right it is a lot to go through and there was another thread about this as well. So I don't recall which one I said it on.

And you are exactly right about telling the underwriter, once I got into home and auto, I mention quite a lot to my underwriters in email. If they say it is ok, then it is on them.

Back