Inappropriate Marketing

Ok, the venue may have not been the best place to pass out fliers, although as for myself I would have no problem having someone hand me a flier at my son's baseball game that is me. It just might be something I am interested in. My point was to emphasize the point that for everyone to get their panties in a wad over this and have the ump fired is a little ridiculous. Now if the ump had been reprimanded in the past and violated policy more than once then that does make a difference. Still, I guess I am like Donald Duck when it comes to stuff like this whereas some are a little sensitive.

ok dude....how about this angle....if you bought or anyone from the team bought from the ref what is that going to do for his credibility when calling plays in the future ....its a slime ball move...while I was coaching my kids parents knew what I did and picked up many clients that I still have today.....if I found out a ref was handing out fliers I would not start the game and have him switched out...PM has agents out there doing wacky crap all the time....not sure who is feeding this info or they are just coming up with this on their own...but if your interested in this tactic try this one also..... Courthouse News Service

Ronroberts? who do you write for by chance?

the parents didn't get the ref fired. If it's like it is here, he went before a state review board, who reviewed his actions and he would have been allowed to be heard. I have a feeling he quit before it got that far, as he knew it was wrong.

Besides who in their right mind as a referee solicts business while they ref a match? Not exactly the best place as one time or another in a match one side or the other is going to be pissed at you.

The bad thing about it is that the majority of the people at the game probably have no insurance or are underinsured. The fired ump will eventually get another gig because survivalist do that. Those at the game will probably one day wish they had taken the guy up on the offer, that is when their loved one dies, or they wake up one day and are diagnosed with some dreadful disease.

But to get the guy fired?? Winers and cry babies who know no better.

So in the end, who is the real loser? Those that want to complain about something that really is not in their best interest to complain about. For real, most of us have cold called, or will cold call in the future, or door knock some unsuspecting soul in the hopes of making a buck. Where is this any different?

For me, I would have given the guy an "A" for effort and wished I had the balls to do something like that.

Sounds like you may have been the guy in the story...It's ok man, I am sure you can get another umpire gig somewhere else.

Last edited:
ok dude....how about this angle....if you bought or anyone from the team bought from the ref what is that going to do for his credibility when calling plays in the future ....its a slime ball move...while I was coaching my kids parents knew what I did and picked up many clients that I still have today.....if I found out a ref was handing out fliers I would not start the game and have him switched out...PM has agents out there doing wacky crap all the time....not sure who is feeding this info or they are just coming up with this on their own...but if your interested in this tactic try this one also..... Courthouse News Service

Ok, as far as the credibility call I will agree with you. It is not a tactic that I would have used or even considered. All I am saying is it would not have bothered me but I can see your point and it is well taken. I still do not believe the guy should have been fired if he was fired for it. I have never been a PM agent so I do not know there tactics.

Ronroberts? who do you write for by chance?

I am an independent.

I still do not believe the guy should have been fired if he was fired for it.

Really....he was being paid to ref a game......not to to promote PM for personal gain.....there is a time and place to promote your business....this is not one of them.......why did he not just put the fliers on all the cars there.... because they would end up all over the parking lot and would have been called to pick them up.....then been fired when they found out a ref did it....it is a no win scenario....people do not like insurance agents to begin with......

That link is fantastic. As usual a person talking too much. I have heard that a lot of life ins is sold to funeral attendees. It's a standard practice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I guess that it's possible an agent could stoop so low as to throw a kid's game to favor his client's kid. How sad.

Last edited:
"Besides who in their right mind as a referee solicts business while they ref a match? Not exactly the best place as one time or another in a match one side or the other is going to be pissed at you."
At least he could have waited until after the game and he could have bought juice boxes and snacks for the kids as he handed out his literature to mom and dad.

Back