Should and will the insurance company pay a claim for an accidental suicide?

titeye

Guru
Real Case:
Parents had life insurance on child through employer. Prior to the policy's 2 year anniversary, the kid accidentally hangs himself resulting from some type of Tik Tok challenge. From a claim perspective, is this an accidental death, with a possibility of paying double, or is this a suicide, and therefore a denial of claim entirely?

Real Case:
Parents had life insurance on child through employer. Prior to the policy's 2 year anniversary, the kid accidentally hangs himself resulting from some type of Tik Tok challenge. From a claim perspective, is this an accidental death, with a possibility of paying double, or is this a suicide, and therefore a denial of claim entirely?

Really comes down to how it’s ruled by the authorities.

Is it a double indemnity policy?

Is there a suicide exclusion in the policy?

And what state? If there is a suicide exclusion it might not be 2 years. Missouri, for one example, is 1 year.

Really comes down to how it’s ruled by the authorities.

Is it a double indemnity policy?

Is there a suicide exclusion in the policy?

And what state? If there is a suicide exclusion it might not be 2 years. Missouri, for one example, is 1 year.
I ask because some insurers decide base on what is stated on death certificate, and I don't think that is always fair.

Other factors come into play too. Especially on employer coverage.

I know of one here that happened well before I was in this business. Guy was killed in the commission of a crime. He had life insurance at work.

The company was well within their right to challenge it because of the circumstances.

For whatever reason they just quietly paid the claim and never raised an issue.

Real Case:

I would have to read the policy. Speculation without information is futile.

Other factors come into play too. Especially on employer coverage.

I know of one here that happened well before I was in this business. Guy was killed in the commission of a crime. He had life insurance at work.

The company was well within their right to challenge it because of the circumstances.

For whatever reason they just quietly paid the claim and never raised an issue.

Again, depends on the terms and conditions of the policy.

I would have to read the policy. Speculation without information is futile.

Again, depends on the terms and conditions of the policy.

In the case I mentioned the language was pretty clear that they could have refused to pay.

And it was expected they would fight.

I was the local union president. I asked what their position was going to be. They simply said, “we have made an executive decision to settle the claim without incident”.

I didn’t inquire further.

Back